Wild Exploring logo
Home of Stuart Mapp
T: 07973 606 606
International Mountain Leader, Winter and Summer Mountain Leader

Blog for May 22nd, 2015

May 22nd, 2015
Morocco, Wild camp at 2,700m outside Agounss
Tizi n'Tacheddirt, Iabassene to Agounss

Packed up and ready to leave Tizi n'Tacheddirt
Looking west from Tizi n'Tacheddirt to path taken up day before
Looking east from Tizi n'Tacheddirt to descent path
Walled shelter to east of Tizi n'Tacheddirt,
Part way from Tizi n'Tacheddirt to Iabassene
Looking down to Iabassene
A stop was made in Iabassene for tea and omelette as I hadn't eaten any protein for the last day and a half, just bread and couscous
Terraced hillside at Iabassene
Approaching Aguerd n'Ourtane
Looking at landslides above Timichchi
Approaching Timichchi, looking east
Flowers on cacti
I followed the new dirt track on the south side of the river at Aguerd n'Outtake to see how far along it would go to make the journey quicker as the wind was increasing and thunder was tumbling in the mountains above

Just before Tinoummer the track stops and becomes a small path. At that point it started to rain heavily. Rather than wearing my waterproofs on a warm day I sat on a rock and sheltered under my groundsheet protector. The rain then turned to hail and the whole shower lasted about 20 minutes
End of wide track, narrow path from this point
I wanted to explore Adrar n'Musharraf and Tameskaoute so didn't want to stay in Timichchi but go further along the valley to the last village, Agounss, even though the map didn't show any accommodation
When I got to Agounss 3 boys escorted me. After failing to understand that I was looking for a Gite I used signs. I headed for some houses but the boys kept pointing to the path that bypassed the houses. They kept calling and pointing to the path. As I carried on they started throwing stones, fairly accurately for their age, but I didn't need to swerve
When I got to the houses there was no-one around. I decided to head up for a while to see what was around the corner. It started to rain heavily so the groundsheet protector was put to use again, this time over myself and rucksack so I could keep walking 'poncho' style
The terrain was very stony but the map showed the contours easing off, although not completely flat. Risking going up I came across a circle of rocks and a very small flattish area beside it so that was camp for the night. Luckily it had stopped raining
Camping location next to shelter
I was at 2,700m so only a quick 400m ascent the next day. I had 1 litre of water so that would do until the next morning, although there wasn't enough to cook as well so it meant a night without eating